Skip to content

Utah Homeowner Associations Registration

What are my rights as a Homeowner in an HOA or COA?

The first step to understanding your rights in an association is to review your association's "governing documents." Governing documents include the declaration of covenants, conditions, and restrictions (commonly known as CC&Rs), articles of incorporation, bylaws, and rules of the association. Under law, homeowner associations are allowed to exercise the authority described in their governing documents. Homeowner rights vary by HOA/COA depending on what is in the HOA's/COA's governing documents.

All HOAs and COAs are required to register with the Department of Commerce. You can search to see if your association is registered here. For associations that are registered, you can find important information about the association including the names and contact information for the HOA's/COA's leadership. These individuals have access to your governing documents and must share them with you upon request. Utah Code §§ 57-8a-227(1)(a)(ii), 57-8-17(1)(a)(ii). You can also check with your local county recorder's office to obtain a copy of the CC&Rs and bylaws.

In addition to rights provided under your governing documents, you have rights under state law under either the Condominium Act or the Community Association Act, depending on if you live in a COA or any other type of association (HOA). Most of these rights are common to HOAs and COAs, though some additional rights exist that are specific to COAs and HOAs. Some of a property owner's general rights include:

Owner's Rights after an Allegation of Violating Association Rules or Provisions

Disputes sometimes arise between unit owners and association management over whether a fine should be assessed for an alleged violation of the association's rules or provisions. Rights are provided to unit owners by state law in Utah Code §§ 57-8a-208 (HOAs) and 57-8-37 (COAs). A summary of these rights is below:

This section is meant as a summary and may not provide all rights that may apply under all laws in your situation. The Department of Commerce cannot assist you with specific questions on any given case, and you should consider obtaining legal counsel from a licensed attorney if you are in a dispute with your COA/HOA.